Professor Tel: (989) 774-1286
Department of Geography FAX: (989) 774-2907
Institute for Great Lakes Research E-Mail: email@example.com
Central Michigan University U.S. Citizen
Mt. Pleasant, MI 48859
Post-doc. Department of Environmental Science, Policy and Management
University of California-Berkeley
Ph.D. Department of Computer Science, University of Waikato, New Zealand
M.Sc. School of Computing Science, University of Newcastle Upon-Tyne, UK
B.Sc. Department of Mathematics, University of Shanxi, China
1. Geospatial and Temporal Modeling
2. GIS and Remote Sensing in Water Quality Assessment
3. Physical Geography
1. 2015 *Zhu W.N., Q. Yu, Y.Q. Tian, B.L. Becker, and H. Carrick, 2015. Issues and potential improvement of multiband models for remotely estimating chlorophyll-a in complex inland waters, IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing (IEEE J-Stars), 80 (2): 562-75
2. 2014 *Zhu, W.N., Q. Yu, Y.Q. Tian, B. Becker, T. Zheng, and H. Carrick, 2014, An Assessment of Remote Sensing Algorithms for Colored Dissolved Organic Matter in Complex Freshwater Environments, Remote Sensing of Environment 140 (2014) 766–778
3. 2013 *Zhu WN, Tian YQ, Yu Q., Becker BL., Using Hyperion Imagery to Monitor the Spatial and Temporal Distribution of Colored Dissolved Organic Matter in Estuarine and Coastal Regions, Remote Sensing of Environment, 134 (2013) 342-354
4. Tian, Y.Q. Yu Q., Feig D.A., Ye CJ., Blunden AM., Effects of climate and land-surface processes on terrestrial dissolved organic carbon export to major U.S. coastal rivers, Ecological Engineering, 54 (2013): 192– 201
5. *Zhu, W.N., Q. Yu, and Y.Q. Tian, 2013, Uncertainty analysis of remote sensing of colored dissolved organic matter: evaluations and comparisons for three rivers in North America, ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, 84 (2013): 12-22.
6. 2012 Tian, Y.Q., *Wang, D., R. F. Chen and *W. Huang, Using modeled runoff to study DOC dynamics in stream and river flow: a case study of an urban watershed southeast of Boston, Massachusetts, Ecological Engineering, 42(2012): 212-222.
7. Zimmerman, M.J., Q. Yu, and Y.Q. Tian, Monitoring to Assess Progress toward Meeting the Assabet River (Massachusetts) Phosphorus Total Maximum Daily Load--Aquatic Macrophyte and Sediment-Phosphorus Flux, U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Report, 2011-5179.
8. 2011 *Zhu, W.N., Q. Yu, Y.Q. Tian, R.F. Chen, and G.B. Gardner, Estimation of chromophoric dissolved organic matter in the Mississippi and Atchafalaya River plume regions using above-surface hyperspectral remote sensing, Journal of Geophysical Research-Ocean, 116, C02011, doi:10.1029/2010JC006523.
9. 2010 Yu, Q., Y.Q. Tian, R.F. Chen, A. Liu, G.B. Gardner, *Weining Zhu, Functional Linear Analysis for Estimating Riverine CDOM in Coastal Environment Using In Situ Hyperspectral Data, Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing, 76(10): 1147-1158, (Won the Early Career Best Paper Award, Remote Sensing Specialty Group - The Association of American Geographers, Washington D.C)
10. Tian, Y.Q., Q. Yu, M.J. Zimmerman, S. Flint, and M.C. Waldron, differentiate among aquatic plant communities and density in eutrophic rivers using remote sensing technology, Freshwater Biology 55 (8): 1587–1801
11. 2009 Tian, Y.Q., *J.J. Wang, J.A. Duff, B.L. Howes, and A. Evgenidou, Spatial Patterns of Macrobenthic Communities in Shallow Tidal Embayments and Association with Environmental Factors, Environmental Management 44 (1):119-135
12. 2008 *He, H.M., Q. Yu, J. Zhou, Y.Q. Tian, and R.F. Chen, Modeling Complex Flood Flow Evolution in middle Yellow River Basin, China, Journal of Hydrology Vol. 353 (1-2), 76-92
13. Pu, R.L., P. Gong, Y.Q. Tian, X. Miao, C. Raymond, and A. Gerald, Using CASI Hyperspectral Data to Monitor Invasive Species: A Case Study of Saltcedar in Nevada, USA, International journal of Remote Sensing, Vol. 29 (14), 3987-4011
14. Yu, Q, P. Gong, Y.Q. Tian, and R.L. Pu, Factors affecting spatial variation of classification uncertainty in an object-based vegetation mapping, Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing, Vol. 74 (8), 1007-1018
15. Kirshen, P., *C. Watson, A. Gontz, E. Douglas, *J. Lee, and Y.Q. Tian, Coastal Flooding in the Northeastern USA under Climate Change, The Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change, Vol. 13 (5-6), 430-451
16. Pu, R.L., P. Gong, Y.Q. Tian, X. Miao, R.I. Carruthers, and G.L. Anderson, Invasive Species Change Detection Using Artificial Neural Networks and CASI Hyperspectral Imagery, Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, Vol. 140 (1-3) 15-32
17. 2007 Chen, Q., P. Gong, D.D. Baldocchi, and Y.Q. Tian, Estimating Basal Area and Stem Volume for Individual Trees from LIDAR Data, Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing 73 (12) 1355-65
18. *He, H.M., J. Zhou, Q. Yu, Y.Q. Tian, and R.F. Chen, Flood Frequency and Routing Processes at a Confluence of the Middle Yellow River in China, River Research and Applications, 23 (4) 407-427
19. *Xie, H.J., Y.Q. Tian, J.A. Granillo, and G.R. Keller, Suitable Remote Sensing Method and Data for Mapping and Measuring Active Crop Field, International Journal of Remote Sensing, vol. 28 (2) 395–411
20. Tian, Y.Q., R. McDowell, Q. Yu, G. W. Sheath, W. T. Carlson, and P. Gong, Modeling to analyze the impacts of animal treading effects on soil in, Hydrological Processes vol. 21 (8) 1106-1114
21. 2006 *Xie, H.J., J.M.H. Hendrickx, X. Zhou, H. Guan, Y.Q. Tian, E. Vivoni, and E. Small, A statistical analysis of NEXRAD precipitation in a semi-arid area of the Southwest United States , Journal of the American Water Resources Association, vol. 42(1) 237-256
22. 2005 Zhou, D.M., J. Radke, Y.Q. Tian, J.C. Xu, and L. Mu, A model supported by GIS for locating and quantifying PM2.5 emission originated from residential wood burning, Journal of Environmental Sciences-China 17 (5): 861-865
23. Tian, Y.Q., D.G. McCall, W. Dripps, Q. Yu and P. Gong, Using surface features to evaluate meat tenderness of grazing beef animals, Food Australia, 57(8): 322-326
24. 2004 Tian, Y.Q., J.D. Radke, and P. Gong, Spatially Allocating PM2.5 Emissions from Residential Wood Burning in California, Atmospheric Environment, Vol. 38(6): 833-843
25. 2002 Tian, Y.Q., P. Gong, J.D. Radke and J. Scarborough, Spatial and Temporal Modeling of Microbial Contaminants on Grazing Farmlands, Journal of Environmental Quality, vol. 31(3): 860-869
26. Elliott, A.H., Y.Q. Tian, J.C. Rutherford, and W.T. Carlson, Effect of Cattle Treading on Interrill Erosion from Hill Pasture: Modeling Concepts and Analysis of Rainfall Simulator Data, Aust. J. Soil Res., vol. 40(6) 963-976
27. 2001 Tian, Y.Q., P. Gong, R.P. Ibbitt, and A.E. Elliott, Application of GIS in Analyzing Spatial Patterns of Multiple Runoff Events, Geographic Information Sciences, Vol. 7(1): 179-188.
28. Tian, Y.Q., R.J. Davies-Colley, P. Gong, and B.W. Thorrold, Estimating Solar Radiation on Slopes of Arbitrary Aspect, Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 109: 67-74
29. 1999 Tian, Y.Q., D.G. McCall, and W.H. McMillan, The Potential for Use of Surplus Dairy Herd Reproductive Capacity for Beef Production, New Zealand Journal of Agricultural Research, Vol. 42: 405-414
Note: Publications before 1998 was mostly conference proceedings because it was in computer science.
Looking for one student for Ph.D. and two for Masters
Blunden Ashley DOC loading from Agricultural lands
A-Joy Saha Graduated in Dec 2008, Thesis Title: The Modeling with high resolution 3D environmental data.
Chris Watson Graduated in Jun 2007, Thesis Title: The impacts of sea level rise on recurrence intervals of coastal/river flooding in the northeast region.
Jianjun Wang Graduated in Dec 2007, Thesis Title: Spatial distribution patterns of macrobenthic communities in small embayments of Cape Cod, Massachusetts: Testing the effects of eutrophication on macrobenthic communities
Prasanna Govindan Graduated in Jan 2007, Thesis Title: Emergency Response in Waterborne Pathways: A Discrete Dynamic Approach Using GIS
Dawei Wang Master Student, Thesis Title: Exploratory Analysis of the Environmental Factors Driving DOC from an Urban Watershed to Coastal Water Using SWAT Simulated Flow
K.S. LaCommare Ph.D. completed in June 2010, Conservation Ecology of Antillean Manatees in the Drowned Cayes, Area of Belize
Wei Huang Ph.D. completed in October 2010, Sources and Characteristics of Dissolved Organic Matters in Estuaries
Jun Zhu Ph.D. completed in November 2010, Carbon Cycling in coastal regions
Praveen Jha Ph.D. completed in June 2011, Spatial Modeling for Assessing Forest Ecological Health Condition
Pashupati Chaudhary Ph.D. completed in August 2011, GIS modeling of Biodiversity in Indian forest
Zhen Wang Graduated with master degree in Sept 2005, Exploratory analysis of spatial and seasonal variations of chromophoric dissolved organic matter (CDOM) concentration in the lower Hudson River
Venkata Bandla Graduated with master degree in Aug 2006, Sources, Sink and Transport of Colored Dissolved Organic Matters (CDOM) from the Neponset River Watershed to Coastal Waters
Keith Cialino Ph.D. Candidate, Oral date: Mar 2009, Modeling of biological and chemical pollutant in Coastal Watershed and Water
Chad J. McGuire Ph.D. Student, Environmental Law
2012-present Weining Zhu Remote sensing of land-water dynamics, Central Michigan University
2005-2008 Jawon Lee Human Geography and GIS modeling, UMass-Boston
2006-2007 Hongming He Hydrology and Watershed Modeling, UMass-Boston